Friday, February 09, 2007

I have somehow assumed the mantle of some sort of novice software technician for a group of older women at this company I am temping for. These women are all around the age of 60 or so - I know this because they often speak in gregarious tones about the pitfalls that come with their age. This group of women, this cabal of the aged, if I may, have somehow anointed me their savior savant. I helped one of them do something at one point a couple of months ago, and the word must have spread or something, because now they ask me daily for assistance in performing various functions in the software we use here. In doing so, they have exposed themselves as being completely inept in their knowledge of Word and Excel and the like, and even in the most basic of Windows desktop manipulation.

I have had to assist them in such mundane tasks as adding columns to a table for them, saving a file not at the default location a program prompts one to save at, but in a different location; I have had to replace accidentally deleted desktop shortcuts for them - the list continues interminably.

I must sound like a complete dick for railing on them for this, but I am genuinely surprised - no, shocked, that high-level veteran workers in this company, people who have been doing their job for more than a decade in most cases, have absolutely no idea how to really use the software they go through the motions of using every single day. I can't understand how they get through their days without knowing how to move a file somewhere, or any number of, to me, very minor and simple tasks. I feel like I need to go talk to the management here and clue them in on this, maybe suggest they have everyone go through some mandatory software training or something.

Oh well. I just wanted to vent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home