Wednesday, May 31, 2006

driving

Drove with lovely Miss M to Tucson and then on to Deming, New Mexico over the weekend. The trip was a Visite Finale to see M's ailing grandfather for what may possibly be one last time. At 94 years, every minute seems like it is on borrowed time.

We left Santa Barbara at around 11 AM Friday, and arrived in Phoenix around midnight that evening. 13 hours on the road, and we still had further to travel. The drive back was nearly as grueling - the clincher is getting around the I-10 linchpin in San Bernardino without getting mired in traffic. The trouble is, there's only one real route through to Arizona, and it's through there. Everyone must take it; I see mothers and puppies alike packed tightly into dull colored, bug-spattered compact cars.

While on holiday in the decadent town of Deming, I was able to imbibe the marvelous variety of Coca-Cola that is made not with corn syrup, but with real cane sugar. On that day, I ascended to gates hewn of pearl thrown wide open for me.






These pictures are an accurate view of the weekend from my perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home