Friday, July 16, 2004

Dinosaur apathy

I am beginning the long walk down the sad, sad path of utter apathy for the work I am doing here at my place of employ. You see, I quickly become bored when I master a new challenge. When I am in total control of things, and I know everything I need to know in order to accomplish my job, boredom sets in. Boredom and routine. Every day, read through documents, edit mechanical and grammatical errors. Same subject. Groundwater remediation. Environmental cleanup. California Regional Water Quality Control Board. City of Ventura. City of Los Angeles. City of Santa Barbara.

Sometimes, to break the monotony, I like to emit a low, guttural growl from deep within my throat, which I slowly increase in volume until one of the other editors in the room hears...something, something they can't quite put their finger on, but deep in their trembling, comma-splicing bowels, they know something is out there, and they begin to feel the first burgeoning twinges of fear. They sometimes peer around, searching out the source of the sound - but they cannot, as I am too quick for them. I vary the pitch slightly, and they ask me "if I hear that". Of course, I deny hearing anything, and at this point I stop my neanderthaly antics.

Other times, like today, I don't feel much like antagonizing my coworkers, so instead I marvel inwardly at the prospect of, for example, resurrected dinosaurs with super-strength, enhanced intellect, and the ability to wield heavy firearms. Like in this artist's rendition I created today instead of editing this groundwater remediation progress report -



In the future, all our wars can be fought using dinosaurs, until of course, cliches begin to set in and they turn on their masters, enslaving the selfsame beings which set them free from their millenia-old extinctions.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stan said...

I think I saw you in an office in a movie once ... was it 'Brazil'? or maybe 'Kafka'? or both. I don't know.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Stan said...

Kafka, I think.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home